Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Mockingbird's Gift

"You never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them." -Atticus Finch
Some years ago, my uncle handed me a book. It was an old personal copy of his, full of underlined phrases. Different from the ones he used to buy me during trips to the bookstore as a kid. I didn't know that it'd be his last gift to me. Having read it for the second time around, I was able to appreciate it more. 

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic novel penned by Harper Lee in 1960. Set in Maycomb, Alabama, it depicts racism and the first struggles to change views about it... Which was next to impossible during the '30s. 

Interestingly, this serious issue is tackled from a seven-year-old's point of view. I find this ingenious since the story's drama is both subdued by the natural spunk of a child's narration and yet magnified in the eyes of an innocent. Scout Finch takes us along her adventures with Jem and Atticus, her brother and father, respectively.

The novel consists of various inspiring personalities and stories but Atticus Finch, a lawyer, is one of the noblest characters I've ever read. A mockingbird is used to symbolize innocence in this book and I quote it, 'To kill a mockingbird is a sin... Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy.'

I love how the story ends with a twist. This novel doesn't only discuss racism but also other forms of discrimination and injustice. I will always be grateful to my dear uncle for giving me this book... and the valuable lessons that come with it. I dedicate this entry to you.

-Martha

No comments: