Thursday, May 16, 2013

Safe Haven

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. Yes, another one of his melodramatic novels that would entail a lead character dying of some terrible illness, an overly romanticized plot, and oh, most definitely a tear jerker. These thoughts went through my mind as I was hurriedly browsing for ebooks to download and saw this title. Except for 'A Walk to Remember' (novel) and a couple of movies adapted from his books, I don't think I paid any attention to his works. But I was running out of things to read so I decided 'What the hey?' and touched the proverbial download button.

Katie, a mysterious twenty-something woman is desperate to start her life over. She thought she found solace after arriving in Southport, a little town in North Carolina. Although she struggled to open up to the people she met, she soon found herself befriending a local named Jo and falling in love with a shop owner called Alex. But just as she's starting to gain her sense of self, her alarmingly violent past catches up with her.

'I truly believe that while love can hurt, love can also heal...'

I was right, all of my expectations about this book were true. Surprisingly, I liked it! Sparks kept me turning the pages on my tablet. This wasn't just a sappy romantic novel. It also has suspense, action, and dare I say, fantasy. I liked that it was a little dark and a bit brutal in some parts. Not your typical Nicholas Sparks love story. The fear and self doubt in Katie's character is what glued this whole thing together. The emotions emanating from her drove the story.

I liked this novel enough to watch the movie version online. Sadly, I was disappointed by Julianne Hough's acting. It lacked depth and she was unconvincing as an abused woman running for her life. As I said, the story depended on Katie's emotional turmoil. She didn't give that. :(

Though the movie didn't fare as well as the novel, I still learned something from this experience... Don't judge a book by its cover. ;)

-Faye

No comments: