Thursday, July 28, 2011

Of Friends and Blisters

Last May, as a birthday treat to myself, I went to Hong Kong & Macau with my friend, Che. Although we have been friends since the 3rd grade, it was the first time we traveled together. We were so excited even though we knew that budget will be our limitation.

She luckily found a promo airfare from Cebu Pacific while I booked a small room at a charming little inn called The Lee Gardens Guest House in Cameron Road. We were to stay there for 4 days & 3 nights including a detour to Macau to watch the "House of Dancing Water" show.

We were right to expect that it will be an unforgettable experience. While planning for months heightened our anticipation, it didn't guarantee a fool proof trip. We did get into some hilarious missteps. Like missing our bus stop thus making us lose an hour of our lives finding our inn. The words "Lost in Translation" kept popping in my head as we ask the locals where our hotel is.  Different intonations of "Cameron Road?", "Cameron Road?" were uttered to a couple of taxi drivers which earned us vigorous head shakes & ejection from the vehicle.

Me & Che at the Ruins of St. Paul
Of course we did smarten up in no time. Che learned that a map can be read topside up, upside down and even sideways. I learned that blisters can develop in a matter of hours (I had a total of six on both feet!). A friendly staff in our hotel pointed us to a nearby alley lined with local restos. Not only were the food delicious, they were cheap as well. The highlight of our trip though, was when we found out that our seats for the HoDW show was on the edge of the stage. Now, notice that the title of the show has "water" in it. Yes, it meant we were drenched to our very core. I mean, I was shivering for about a third of the duration of the show!

But it was all part of the fun. Che & I were laughing our heads off every time we were splashed with water (the show did provide towels) or when the performers (close enough to touch) popped out of the pool and tried to intimidate and scare us. We were having the time of our lives, problems were forgotten for one & a half hours. Gymnasts, acrobats, actors, dancers, swimmers and divers performed in one spectacular funfare. It was a show like no other.

On our last day, with our wallets considerably lighter (I had HK$ 5 left!), we sadly said goodbye to Hong Kong, our carefree & responsibility-less days. When I saw my friend a few days ago, she asked me where we should go next. I smiled as flashes of those fun-filled moments crossed my mind. Hmm... I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

-Faye

No comments: