Sunday, September 1, 2013

Music of the Night

My friend's invitation for a 'night out with the girls' couldn't have come more timely. I've been working non-stop and needed a breather. We met last Friday at the Lobby Lounge of Makati Shangri-La to catch a performance of Alona, a high school classmate and member of a singing group called the Music@ts*.

Standing: Kat, Jo
Seated: Weng, Alona, Che
Dinner was composed of Caesar Salad, Roasted Mediterreanean Vegetable Panini (Yum!), Shangri-La's Triple Decker, and Pancit Guisado (a bit salty). Oddly, no one opted for cocktails. I guess we wanted our wits about for our impending gabfest.

The show started at 9pm, opening with a medley of classics including my all-time favorites Nearness of You and Moon River. Followed by songs from Broadway musicals: All I Ask of You (Phantom of the Opera), Memory (Cats), and I Don't Know How to Love Him (Jesus Christ Superstar). I was pleasantly surprised when they closed the 1st set with some animated movies' soundtracks. They made Circle of Life (The Lion King), Go the Distance (Hercules), and When You Believe (Prince of Egypt) sound, well, classy.

The highlight of the 2nd set for me was the group's rendition of Tonight from West Side Story and Pink's Just Give Me a Reason. Didn't know it could sound even better. I also liked their Ikaw Lang ang Mamahalin.

For the 3rd set, they sang more OPMs like Ikaw, Bakit Ba Ganyan, and Kahit Isang Saglit. I thoroughly enjoyed their Sun and Moon (Miss Saigon) and I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables) numbers. I wish they sang A Little Fall of Rain. Maybe next time.

There is no doubt that this act is brilliant. They perform harmoniously, blending well when doing a group number or duets and shining on their own when perfoming solos. Needless to say, I had a memorable night chatting with the girls and enjoying the talented Music@ts. Another reason to say: TGIF! :)

-Faye

*Music@ts members:
Lawrence - piano, vocals; Alona - vocals; Kim - vocals; Jerry - bass

No comments: