Friday, March 15, 2013

On The Walking Dead

I don't know why but I have a thing for zombie apocalypse movies. That's why I was thrilled when The Walking Dead came into picture in 2010. A comic-based TV series about zombies dominating our precious earth. Now, how brilliant is that? An actual TV series instead of just a two-hour film!

AMC's The Walking Dead
For those who've been living under a rock, the story goes like this: Sheriff Rick Grimes woke up from a coma, only to find the hospital and the rest of his town deserted. It was both a miracle and a living nightmare. For Rick later learns that there was an outbreak (Yep. The zombie virus is always to blame.) and the world will never be the same. He then embarks on a journey to find his wife and son's whereabouts. Basically, that's how all this TWD craze started.

Amid all kinds of zombie-themed movies showing left and right, TWD stands its ground and reaps major success. It depicts survival and its conflicts with humanity given the situation. It also manages comic-relief aside from heavy drama and action scenes. The characters are engaging. The show makes you pray they'll spare the lives of your favorite ones, curse annoying, foolish ones, and weep through deaths like its a personal loss. Lol! The story line just keeps getting better. It is now on its third season and yet it consistently builds climax with every episode; each ending leaves viewers wanting for more. That's how good it is.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I love the effects, the gore. The zombies or 'walkers' are life-like (Did I just say that?). I mean, blood shooting out of their heads, a decaying half-body moving in the grass... I could go on and on and ruin your appetites so I'll stop now. Point is, it looks amazingly real and, ironically, tastefully done. The actors, writers, directors, and crew are all doing a superb job. I ship this show 100 percent. Try to watch and be the judge of it. 

-Martha

No comments: