Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Pitch Perfect Syndrome

The Barden Bellas
I've seen the movie weeks ago yet the soundtrack somehow got stuck in my head up to now. I think I have the last pitch perfect syndrome (which is something I just made up, by the way).

Pitch Perfect is a 2012 musical comedy film about college kids competing in an a-cappella singing contest. Mind you, the plot is predictable and filled with cliches yet somehow it works! The characters are funny and refreshing. Anna Kendrick plays the lead, Beca, and is shown in a new light. She is likeable (unlike in the Twilight Saga) and gets to showcase her talents. I also love Fat Amy's (Rebel Wilson) antics. She definitely steals the spotlight.

The songs, like I've mentioned, stick with you and are well-presented in many, memorable scenes. I'll just hover on my favorite ones in sequence: First off, they made a good move reviving the '90s hit "The Sign" by Ace of Base. Kendrick and Brittany Snow's "Titanium" duet in the shower is harmonious although awkward. Also, the part where they sang Kelly Clarkson's "Since U've Been Gone" in random bits for the auditions is hilarious. The riff-off scene is particularly good, too. I love their mash-up of Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are"/Nelly's "Just a Dream" in the middle of the night. It gave me shivers. The other songs are fine as well but those are the highlights for me.

I think having a Glee-like movie balanced by a funny cast and catchy lines make it all irresistible. It's brief and  pleasantly tolerable. It's a feel-good chick flick. Perfectly enjoyable to watch and listen to. :)

-Martha

No comments: