Friday, August 26, 2011

Read On

I've always loved reading. When I was a little girl my parents bought me a set of books called Childcraft: The How and Why Library. Each volume discusses different topics including Math, Science, Culture, Arts and Crafts, etc. I would pour over them eagerly reading the stories I like, again and again. If I don't understand a word or phrase, I would ask my mom and dad about it or stare at the pictures imagining what it might mean.

A few years later, I was given a set of Encyclopedia Brittanica by my parents. They thought it a great way to help me with my schoolwork (the internet didn't exist yet!). Almost every night I would be doing my homework with a humongous book in front of me. It wasn't the most amusing time but I learned a lot.

Aside from my textbooks I also started reading some not so academically-motivated reading materials. I had so much fun with Archie comics. I laughed at his gang's crazy escapades. During grade school, I also discovered the Sweet Valley Twins series. I was so amazed at how different and alike I was with Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield. These are worlds I have never known existed. It's like visiting another place and the only thing I need to pack is my imagination.

Eventually, my pocketbooks were replaced by novels. But it's always the same, each book invokes in me a unique thrill: from being scared, puzzled, elated, tickled pink or moved to tears.

"The greatest gift is a passion for reading." -Elizabeth Hardwick

I thank my parents' role in my love for books and I'm trying to pay it forward by encouraging my family and friends to read.

So do yourself a favor and pick up a book. Trust me you won't be sorry. :)



-Faye

No comments: