Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Team Tim Ho Wan?

Tim Ho Wan is one of last year's most reviewed restaurant in the country. Being a person who hates falling in long lines, I've often strolled past the place, wondering about their famous pork buns. Until recently, I tested my patience and finally got inside! Better late than never, right?

My sister and I were one of the first to be seated but it soon got cramped! Our table was small, the place was packed, and servers were being summoned from left and right. Again, we waited quite awhile for our food to be served. I felt excited though when I took my first bite of their Baked Bun with BBQ Pork (₱145). Three pieces of crisp, flaky, soft baked bread with pork filling. I really liked it. It was delicious but the taste, which reminded us of cold-cuts asado, wasn't entirely new to us. 

Clockwise: Wasabi Prawn, BBQ Pork Buns,
Vermicelli BBQ Pork, and Beancurd Skin Roll w/ Shrimp
I was very disappointed with the Beancurd Skin Roll with Shrimp (₱140) since it looked and tasted dry. I couldn't help compare it with its counterpart in Causeway which is way better! In contrast, their Vermicelli Roll with BBQ Pork (₱160) was soggy and gooey. Not a fan of those two. Sorry.

What we loved was the Wasabi Salad Prawn Dumplings (₱140). It had a crunchy wrap with juicy prawn goodness inside. Wasabi sauce was drizzled on top, giving it an extra pow! Their Cold Barley Water (₱50) was also refreshing.

For my verdict, Tim Ho Wan is an upscale version of other dimsum-serving Chinese restaurants. We ordered a few (and some unsatisfactory) items but adding the service charge and 12% VAT, our total bill was too pricey. I understand that it was a busy time but the service was a let-down since we had to follow-up most of our orders, as well as the bill (only to find it wrong!). We were eager to dine here but it didn't live up to the hype.

Rating: 3/5

-Martha


Location:
Tim Ho Wan - Upper Ground Floor, Main Building, SM City North Edsa, Quezon City

No comments: