Friday, February 7, 2014

There's Something About Maria

Ever wonder why February's the shortest month of the year? It's because my zero love life says so. ^____^
Kidding aside, it actually has something to do with being the 12th month in the original Roman calendar. Not to geek you out or...

Anyway, for single peeps out there like me, why not celebrate the month of love through food? I found the perfect place to set the mood. Gayuma ni Maria has old rose walls embellished with quirky quotes, flowers, and fairy lights. There's even a 'naughty nook' where you can buy or have a laugh over aphrodisiac novelty items. For their menu, they have fun, creative names. My friends and I ordered their best-sellers.

We had Kiss Sabay Hug (₱165) as an appetizer which is chicken pork adobo and crisp lettuce to wrap it with. Nice one, I think. The lettuce did the trick, balancing the sweet-salty-sourness of the meat. Mia's Rock Me Baby! (₱285) was good. This hickory bbq pork ribs dish is typically served with macaroni salad but she asked to switch it for rice instead. Grace's beef caldereta called Secret Lovers was very flavorful.

Secret Lovers (P265)
I wasn't delighted with my choice: Afternoon Delight (₱195), an oil-based pasta with fresh tomato and chili pepper flakes. It tasted outright bland. On the other hand, Arianne and Erika said their Please Be Careful with My Heart (₱240), twice-baked garlic chicken, were too salty. I didn't really notice since my pasta left me yearning for any sort of taste.

So there were hits and misses with the food. And it's a bit pricey since their meals do not include rice yet. Concept-wise, Gayuma is spot on. I like that it's very Pinoy. I really wish they'd improve their menu and then it'd be perfect. That said, I enjoyed the experience. We had a lot of laughs and photo-op moments. It doesn't matter if you don't have that special someone. Bring your friends and family as your date and share the love.

Rating: 3.25/5

-Martha

Location:
Gayuma Ni Maria - 123 V. Luna Extension (near Maginhawa St.) Sikutan Village, Quezon City

No comments: