Friday, October 28, 2011

Are You Online?

Ever wondered what life would be like if the internet didn't exist? I hate to admit it but I don't. You see, I've lived half of my life without it. Now it seems that the world would stop spinning if the 'World Wide Web' (this was how it was first known) is gone.

I remember the days when I have to do my homework or research using the trusty, old encyclopedia or I go to a library to use the card catalog (remember this?) to find the book I wanted. These days however, with just a click of a button, all the information I needed (and didn't need) is in front of me! My encyclopedia was replaced by Wikipedia! Yes, studying has been elevated  to the next level. Teachers could now post assignment on their web page and students just email them their answers. No biggie.

Communication also hasn't been the same since the dawn of the 'online era'. Just recently, I reconnected with a childhood friend through the social networking site called Facebook. I have lost touch with her for about 25 years and she tracked me there. The beauty of such site is that people can easily find you. The downside though is that well, people can easily find you.

I got this drawing from (where else?) the internet :)

But the internet doesn't just let you reacquaint with an old friend, you can also meet new people or maybe even The One. I'm talking about online dating. I was a witness to a story where a friend of mine met her future husband at a match-making site! This may be a foreign idea to some but its quite a common occurrence on the net, really.

The internet can now also be used to showcase your talent (or lack thereof). Have you heard of Justin Bieber? He was discovered on YouTube. A video of him was posted doing his stuff and voila! Superstardom! Or if you're the entrepreneurial type, there's eBay for you. You can buy and sell anything and everything under the sun on that website.

Not all though is about silliness or goofing around; The latest news around the globe is delivered in sites like CNN and BBC, they're on 24hours a day.

The internet has revolutionized our way of living that we sometimes think we can't function without it. Heck, even my 4-year-old niece, Sophie, uses it! But we also have to be careful on how we actually use it. Remember, everything we put in it will be recorded, reported and re-posted, forever.

Logging-off!

-Faye

No comments: