Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Breakfast on the Streets

Oh honey!!! THE Honey Garlic Chicken
Nothing quite beats having a good, hearty breakfast after a tiring graveyard duty. That's why I feel super lucky to work in a place neighboring Kanto Freestyle Breakfast. The first time I went here, I was surprised with how 'cowboy' the ambiance is. It is literally set right on the streets with plain seating areas with its order counter reminiscent of a sari-sari store/carinderia. Recently though, it has undergone renovation and is transferred temporarily on the adjacent street.

What surprised me more is the food! The presentation is adorable and the taste is to die for! My all-time favorite is their Honey Garlic Chicken (₱95). Semi-sweet, garlicky fried chicken paired with creamy lemon dipping sauce. So good!

Their new New Zealand Beef Tapa
Another one of their best-sellers is the New Zealand Beef Tapa (₱110). Savory tapsilog with fresh red tomatoes with a lil bit of pesto sauce. They recently changed their tapa supplier (I think) and though the new one is still delicious, we like the previous better.

Their pancakes are also a must-try! I highly recommend these two: Goya Chocnut Ganache and Oreo Cookie Butter (₱95 each). 

Just like the name, their Goya Chocnut Ganache is a mouthful! Huge dollop of chocolate ganache over homemade pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and sprinkled with Pinoy-pride Chocnut bits. I salivate by mere sight of this work of art.

Clockwise: Deep-fried Oreos, Oreo Cookie Butter
Pancakes, & Goya Chocnut Ganache Pancakes
Do not be scared of their Oreo Cookie Butter. Yes, it sort of looks like asphalt placed on top of pancakes but trust me, it's really good! I love the uniqueness of the dish and that despite the ingredients, it's not too sweet! 

Their Deep Fried Oreos (₱60) are also good! However, I like the ones in Flaming Wings (with ice cream and all) more.

It's really hard to resist when a colleague says, "Tara, Kanto!" (*English Translation: "Let's go to Kanto!") because you know you'll get value for your money. They have added 12% VAT to their menu prices which saddens me but hey, all's still good. It's definitely worth coming back to. 

Rating: 4.25/5

-Martha

Location:
Kanto Freestyle Breakfast - 549 San Joaquin Street, Plainview, Mandaluyong City

No comments: