Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Welcome to the Club!

Rice is an essential part of the Filipino meal. I can't imagine my life without it. Seriously. So when I heard of the restaurant Kanin Club, I just. had. to. try. it.

One sunny day, I finally did with my sister and cousin Brian. The place had the traditional Pinoy vibe with their wood and rattan furnitures. However, we opted to have our lunch on the open seating area outside UP Technohub to catch the breeze. 

Clockwise: Aligue Rice, Vegetarian Delight,
Crispy Dinuguan, & Gambas con Kabute
First off, we had their Gambas con Kabute (₱360) which was a slightly spicy dish comprised of button mushrooms, shrimps, and white onions. I liked it but my two companions found it a tad too salty.

I guess we were on a mushroom roll 'cause we also had their Kanin Club's Vegetarian Delight (₱290) which had 3 kinds of mushrooms sauteed with tofu and banana blossoms. The blossoms gave it this overwhelmingly sweet taste which I wasn't a fan of.

What made a big hit on all three of us were the Aligue Rice (₱165), a steaming bowl of rice dolloped with crab fat (hypertensives, beware!) and their famous Crispy Dinuguan (₱274), a must-try! Unlike the usual recipe with bits of soft, chewy *lamang-loob, their version was made of chunks of very crispy, pure pork meat. It had the spicy-sourness I always look for in dinuguan so high marks for that.

The service was tedious because there were many diners that time. But I'm happy to have this as our first Filipino cuisine blog entry. I don't know why it took us so long but I promise to feature more next time! :)

Rating: 3.75/5

-Martha

Location:
Kanin Club - Ground Floor, UP Ayala Technohub, Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City

*lamang-loob (Tagalog). noun. animal organs.

No comments: