Monday, August 11, 2014

My Night with The Rover

The night Martha and I saw 'The Rover', there were only six people inside the movie theater. A couple left one-third through the film. Not a very comforting thought, is it? I was beginning to worry that we wasted our time and money for this indie-drama film, not to mention the semi-paranoia that gripped us (there were only four of us left in this freaking 400 seating-capacity room!). We forcibly calmed ourselves and decided to make the most of our night by refocusing our attention to the big screen. And I assure you, focus is the operative word here.

Yay or Nay?
A 2014 Australian film written and directed by David Michod, starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. The setting was in the Australian outback, 10 years after a global economic collapse. Rey (Pattinson) was wounded and left for dead by his group after a robbery gone wrong. Rey's brother (Scoot McNairy) wanted to come back for him but was dissuaded by the rest of their group. An altercation followed causing their vehicle to crash. The robbers then switched vehicle by carnapping a parked car. Meanwhile, Eric (Pearce), a brooding and mysterious stranger witnessed his car being taken. He chased after the thieves but was thwarted and left unconscious. When he came to, he started after the group and found the injured Rey. After learning he was with the people who took his car, Eric had Rey treated by a doctor. The unlikely duo, started looking for the rest of Rey's mates.

The story itself is ordinary. Or I should say, typical in an indie film. A simple plot with a couple of characters to follow, realistic setting, and an ending that is debatable. I'm not saying I didn't like it. I did, sort of. I already knew that Guy Pearce will be brilliant but Pattinson was a pleasant surprise. Whoever advised him to do this movie should be congratulated. There was no trace of his emetic performance in 'Twilight'. Here, his take on the weak and needy Rey was spot on. Just enough to keep the audience interested and worried for him at the same time. I also like that I could feel the actors' desperation through the wild, dry, and gritty outback setting. What I was frustrated about were the accents. They were damn heavy!  Pearce's was Australian while Pattinson's was Southern American. I had to strain my ears to hear/understand what they were saying. I wish they'd put in subtitles.

All in all, I don't think we wasted our time with this one. Not for everyone, though. I'd give it a 3/5 rating.

-Faye

No comments: