Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How To Be Bad

I started the new year not by having a resolution but by watching the critically acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad. When I say watch, I mean marathon-wise. I finished the entire five seasons in about ten days (would've been faster if I didn't have to go to work). It's that addicting (no pun intended).

Walter White (Bryan Cranston) is an over-qualified high school Chemistry teacher. On his 50th birthday, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Worried about leaving nothing to his pregnant wife and his teenage son with cerebral palsy, he turned to manufacturing (cooking) methamphetamine. Together with his former student Jesse Pinkman, played by Aaron Paul, they traversed the many twists and turns of the underground drug world.

Created by Vince Gilligan, the series ran from 2008-2013 and amassed recognition from the Emmy's to Screen Actors Guild's to the Golden Globes'. To say that the actors who played them were brilliant would be an understatement. For me, it started as a sort of dark comedy but turned full on drama. The writing plays with your emotions (and morality) from beginning to end. The show keeps the audience wondering: 1. Who is the hero, who is the villain?; 2. Crime doesn't pay... or does it?; and 3. Does the end justify the means?

I could answer all of those (I could even tell you the number of bald guys in this series) but I assure you, it's better to find out yourselves. Peace, yo!

-Faye

No comments: