Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back with The Calling

Ever listen to songs and be reminded of a certain time in your life? 

I get that a lot particularly with those of the late '90s and the early 2k. One band that takes me straight back to puberty is The Calling.

I was such a fan (still am, actually) of them, I'm outright devastated when they disbanded. It was so early on their career and after making only two albums, namely: Camino Palmero and well, ironically, Two. The beauty of music though is that it never dies. More than ten years later, I can still plug in my earbuds to enjoy the melodies of my past.

Some genius in 2011 compiled The Very Best of The Calling and spared me the trouble to pick between their two albums. Alex Band's husky, grungy voice is perfect for their alternative rock instrumentation. Plus it doesn't hurt that he looks so cute (Teen and adult me nods simultaneously). Band co-wrote all their songs with Aaron Kamin who co-founded the band.

All time favorites are "Wherever You Will Go" (which sadly has been defiled many a time in videoke sessions), the angst-filled "Adrienne", and the emo anthems "Could It Be Any Harder" & "Stigmatized". Less popular but great tracks no less are "Nothing's Changed", "One by One", "Anything", and "Dreaming in Red". I also like "Things Will Go My Way" and "Our Lives" because of their inspiring messages.

Here's the best part: I heard that The Calling will be reforming. I'm pretty excited for their big comeback.

How about you, what music makes you nostalgic? :)

-Martha

No comments: