Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Mysterious Benedict Society

It was one of those day-offs when I had nothing to do at home so, dying to catch up on some reading, I borrowed one of my sister's books. I'll never regret that moment when I first opened The Mysterious Benedict Society. 

A curious newspaper ad brings together four special children named Reynie, Sticky, Kate, and Constance. Each kid has a unique talent that comprises a great team to embark on a secret mission for the genius Mr. Benedict. Their exciting yet dangerous adventure will surely keep you flipping through the pages of this trilogy by Trenton Lee Stewart.

Having finished the series, I must say I'm very satisfied with the story. It's not only for children but also for adults with a passion for solving riddles and puzzles. Their journey pursue as they discover their strengths and weaknesses, unravel mysteries (sometimes involving their personal lives), and develop a strong friendship.

All the characters are engaging and the writing is intelligent yet light. I should have picked up this book from my sister's crate sooner. But I'm thrilled I finally gave it a shot. It's a fun read. Two thumbs up! I can't wait to read the fourth installment and prequel to the story, The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict. 

The advantage of having nothing to do at home, eh? :)

-Martha

No comments: